Wednesday, August 27, 2008

WE HAVE A WINNER! CSA pick-up #12


We made it. We have broken even, and then some.
When I first set out to document my CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) experience the goal was to prove to skeptics that joining a CSA is not only a great way to do something for your local economy, getting to spend time outdoors in a beautiful environment and eating a ton of veggies, but it also SAVES money. And the last point was a bit hard to prove since nobody I talked to could accurately tell me how much money they did save. Even I, who had been a member in different CSA’s over the last decade, never really knew how much produce I got for my share - all I knew was, that is was a truckload.
Starting to write every bit of veggie or herb or berry down, made me realize, what a huge economic impact the CSA really has. Ours has about 100 share holders and each of them has made a choice, with a tremendous effect. Voting with our dollars is the most power any of us have, and boy did we show them.
So, I give you now - the winning edition of this week’s CSA pickup. Don’t worry I will not stop counting - we have another 11 pick-ups to go!

2 pints cherry tomatoes $3.99
4 heads lettuce $8.16

4 bulbs fennel $7.47
2 heads radicchio $5.38
1 ½pounds Swiss chard $3.28
10 pounds heirloom tomatoes $29.99
2 eggplants $3.69
1 ⅓pound cucumbers $4.49
3 pounds summer squash $5.97
1 bunch parsley $1.99
1 bunch lemon thyme $1.99
1 bunch hot peppers $0.90
1 bunch Thai Basil $1.99
1 bunch sage $1.99
1 bunch cilantro $1.99
1 bunch tomatillos $1.99
1 bunch thyme
1 bunch okra $1.99
1 bunch oregano $1.99
unlimited flowers $5.00
unlimited green beans - 8 pounds - $15.92

Total this week: $112.15
Added to the season’s total of: $749.06 - our new total is: drumroll please: $861.21
So, in twelve weeks we have picked up $861.21 worth of great veggies, berries and herbs. My initial cost back in February was $855 so, now I made my money back and we still have 11 weeks worth of pick-ups to go. I think this is turning into a two for one special. I’ll keep you posted.

No comments: