Wednesday, May 28, 2008

First pickup at the CSA!

I am really psyched about my first pick up at the CSA (Community Supported Agriculture - if you really have to ask).
I have been looking forwards to it ever since I signed up in February. I really learned my lesson from last year, when I tried to sign up in March but they were sold out - in March mind you! This year they sold out again and it’s been really hard waiting for the first pickup.

I will actually document my pickups - so you can see if this is something for you in the future. I know that for a lot of people it is a huge leap of faith to dole out anywhere from $400 to in my case $855 (wow - I went with the ‘bells and whistles’ - $775 full share plus $80 optional berry share) in advance without any guarantee - so I will actually do the math this year and dutifully tally up at the end of the season in November.
I know that that does not actually include intrinsic values such as - doing a great service to your immediate environment, and reducing your environmental footprint enormously and of course the nutritional superiority of produce that has been picked the very day you eat it - but I am just curious - how close money-wise I can get to coming out ahead, financially speaking. I’ll keep you posted...

No comments: